Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

smoking a whole pig

Last post 04-27-2009, 8:13 PM by donald. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-22-2009, 4:07 PM 224

smoking a whole pig

can anyone help me please

im a south african living in manchester,UK.ive just fabricated a stainless steel "spit" bbq.(or rotiserie bbq).its 51 inches wide and has a diameter of 37 inches.(will attach fotos if i can).it has an electric moter which spins at 6RPM. with three gas burners which work independantly.my question is:CAN I USE THIS BBQ TO SMOKE A WHOLE PIG? any modifications i need to make to the "machine" will be no prob as im a boilermaker/welder.cumon guys,im trying to instill sum bbq/outdoors culture into these boring  british lol.thanx guys

oops,just tried to add a photo but couldnt.if anyone thinks they can help,pls send your email and i will mail you photos.

•  04-22-2009, 7:15 PM 225 in reply to 224

Re: smoking a whole pig

I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t work. As long as you can control the temp pretty good, heat is heat. Couple things to keep in mind:

- Make sure the pig is not directly above the flame. If so, the grease will fall on the flame and you will get big flare-ups (ie burnt pig)

- Here in NC, we don’t use a rotisserie. We put it right on a flat grill.
    If using a rotisserie, make sure you have a good way to keep the pig spinning throughout its long cooking process. For example, ‘forks’ that gets shoved in the ends of the pig. Once the meat starts to get cooked, the area where the forks are in will be getting pretty tender and basically spin themselves inside the pig without actually turning it. One suggestion may be to sandwich the pig in between two stiff sheets of holed grates.

Be happy to help any way I can. Be sure to let us know how it turns out!

•  04-23-2009, 4:15 PM 226 in reply to 225

hey donald.

thanx for reading my post and for replying.

cooking the porker isnt the problem mate,as ive cooked whole pigs in many diff ways.i need to know how to SMOKE the thing buddy.and if i can do it in my "machine"?

i dont know how to post photos on here,so its very hard to explain what ive built,and what i wanna do lol.

•  04-23-2009, 5:51 PM 228 in reply to 226

Not following you...are you wanting to smoke with gas or wood??

You can attach an image to this post. When replying, press the 'Options' tab at the top of the page (Compose - Options - Related - Preview). Then click the Add/Update button to add the attachment.

•  04-24-2009, 1:51 PM 229 in reply to 228

sorry donald,when i try attaching photos,the way you said,it says that i need permision from the system adminisrator.ive email them so lets hope they sort me out lol.

i really need your input on this bud,so please be patient with me lol.im technologically challenged lol.

•  04-27-2009, 8:13 PM 231 in reply to 229

Did you get my email? If not, you should be able to attach images now...let me know if you still have problems (I am the system admin!)
View as RSS news feed in XML